Whom should I contact in the event of an emergency while I am overseas?

You should contact relatives and friends in the country that you are visiting or relatives in Barbados. In the event that you are unable to do so, the Barbados mission or consulate can assist you.

What should I do if I am arrested or detained while I am abroad?

The Vienna Convention on Consular Relations requires representatives of Foreign Governments to advise you of your right to notify your consular representative of your arrest or detention and to make arrangements for the consular officer to meet with you. You should therefore notify the arresting officer immediately of your wish to speak with a Barbadian consular officer.

How do I get in contact with my family/relatives in the event of an emergency?

The consular officer can assist you in contacting your relatives in Barbados and in making arrangements to hire an attorney to defend you. In some instances, the foreign government will provide a public defender.

Consular officers cannot secure your release or act as legal counsel, but where necessary can make representation to ensure due process of the law.

Persons detained in countries in which they have citizenship cannot officially avail themselves of the representation of a Barbadian consular officer.