Do I need a permit to bring in meat?

Yes. A permit for the importation of any animal, bird, reptile, animal semen, other biologicals (e.g. vaccines), meat and meat products must be obtained beforehand from the Veterinary Services Department. The telephone and fax nos. are: (246) 427-5492 (tel.) and (246) 429-2143 (fax).


If the meat is cooked, do I still require an import permit?

Yes. An import permit is still required.


How can I obtain the import permit?

The import permit may be obtained from:

The Veterinary Services Department,
Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,
Graeme Hall,
Christ Church

Telephone: (246) 427-5492

Fax: (246) 429-2143


What is the fee for the import permit?

The fee is BDS$25.00

Do I require a permit to import plants into Barbados?

Yes. A permit is required for all plants and plant products.

In addition, all fruits, vegetables, plants, cuttings, seeds, or unprocessed plant products must be declared to customs and presented for inspection by a Plant Quarantine Officer. Fresh fruits from certain countries are prohibited in order to prevent the spreading of pests and plant diseases. Certain plants, seeds or cuttings may require a phytosanitary certificate in addition to the import permit.

Applications for an import permit should be sent to:

The Plant Quarantine Officer,
Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,
Graeme Hall,
Christ Church,

Is there a fee for the import permit for plants and plant products?

No. There is no fee.